Re: Forbidden account password reuse of the last 5 password

On 2/15/19 2:57 AM, Derek Zhou wrote:
> Yeah, adding kerberos is a complexity and you cannot change password
> via ldap anymore; has to go through the kerberos route. My notion of
> "safe" is only referring to the fact that the password text is not
> stored anywhere and the rogue admin cannot read user's passwords.

If you set the password-hash directive in slapd.conf and use the
Password Modify extended operation (e.g. via CLI tool ldappasswd) then
no clear-text password is stored. Choose a salted hash-scheme.

In opposite to that a KDC must store a reversibly encrypted shared
secret derived from user's password which can be directly abused in
Kerberos protocol if the KDC system gets hacked.

> I haven't found a good and up to date howto with step to step
> instrutctions on ppolicy with cn=config. I'd appreciate if someone
> here give my a pointer.

I have no docs at hand which are better than OpenLDAP's admin guide.

Ciao, Michael.