Re: Antw: time-base release schedule?

On Tue, July 3, 2018 10:04, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> "David Magda" <dmagda@ee.ryerson.ca> schrieb am 03.07.2018 um 15:52 in
> Nachricht
> <ebb6857e3819d931930b3824966a86e5.squirrel@webmail.ee.ryerson.ca>:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Would it be possible to moved to a timed release schedule? Looking at
>> the ChangeLog, the current release 'schedule' seems to be a bit...
>> non-deterministic:
>>
>>     http://www.openldap.org/software/release/changes.html
>>
> [...]
>
> Hi!
>
> I think the question is not whether a time-based release schedule or a
> feature-based release schedule is better; instead the question is "when
> will a release be considered ready?"

How would that be determined? Presumably 2.4 should mostly be bug and
security fixes now, with hopefully minimal regressions when patches are
applied. (Which is why I mentioned security releases should perhaps
(ideally) only contain the fix for the issue, and no other patches:
minimize risk so people few safe using with few other side effects.)

If there is regression testing and such before a release is tagged / cut,
than that would obviously have to be considered in the timelines. But if
everyone knows that on Week X of Month Y the goal is to release something,
people can plan ahead a bit versus trying to "find time" to do a release.
Also, if releases start happening regularly, than there may be some
motivation to look into some automation (per Michael Ströder's CI/CD
suggestion).

I do not know what's involved in the release process, or how onerous it
is, so will let the actual people that are going to do the work make that
call. I am simply bringing up the idea (which may be a bad one of course
:).

--
David Magda