Re: time-base release schedule?

On Tue, July 3, 2018 11:48, Howard Chu wrote:
> Ryan Tandy wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 09:52:37AM -0400, David Magda wrote:
>>> Given that most users of OpenLDAP "consume" it via their
>>> distribution-of-choice's package, this would (IMHO) increase the chances
>>> of more recent versions of OpenLDAP being used (especially in Debian and
>>> Ubuntu, but also Fedora). Recent Debian releases occur in Q2, and Ubuntu
>>> does April/October (LTSes are April), while Fedora (roughly) does
>>> May/November.
>>
>> In the case of Debian and Ubuntu at least, what's relevant is the
freeze date,
>> not the actual release. For Debian 9 (Stretch) that was 2017-02-05, for
Debian
>> 10 (Buster) it is planned for 2019-03-12. For Ubuntu the relevant date
is the
>> "Debian Import Freeze" on their release calendar.
>
> Sounds like we'd be looking at a release date in January then. Maybe a bit
> awkward, first thing after the new year holiday.

It does not /have/ to be related to downstream distros. I mentioned the
distros in my original message as a suggestion, and not as a hard
requirement.

If OpenLDAP has a biannual cycle, then the "out-of-date" release would
only be at most six months old. Compare that between 2.4.46 to 2.4.45 (>9
months) to 2.4.44 (16 months).

Ubuntu's Debian Import Freeze is usually the first week of March and
September, so February/September would be okay for that. Debian package
maintainers can ask for uploads to be "unblocked" on a case-by-case basis.
But a six-month-old point-release is certainly better than have year-old
code in the distros (which then can live on for >2 years.)

Taking out external factors from consideration, are there any internal
OpenLDAP concerns about doing a calendar-based maintenance release cycle?
(Major version and security releases would not be included in this.)

--
David Magda