RE: .so version numbers for dlopen'd objects

Yes, currently it both creates a .so.x.y file as well as a symbolic link
from just .so, the assertion from OpenBSD is that for this use case there
should only be the .so.

> In my case, the shared library is *both* a dlopen'ed tcl extension and can
> also be linked to by a C++ program.  This is under Linux, but I do the
same
> under MacOSX (which is an OpenBSD variant under-the-hood).

OS X is actually based off of FreeBSD :). But all of the BSD's cross
pollinate to some extent.

In this case, it is only a dynamically loaded module, I do not believe it is
suitable or there would be a use case to link to it directly from an
application. I don't really care myself, but it is one of the stall points
keeping my changes from getting incorporated so I need to sort it out.

Thanks.