Re: restrict wildcard searches

Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> Is there a way to restrict (acl?) searches using wildcards?

AFAIK no.

> For compliancly reasons, I want to allow certain (actually most) users to
> search on eg. known email addresses, like: mail=user@example.org, but not
> to retrieve a list of all users, like mail=*@example.org.
>
> Sizelimit restriction is not enough, because they could still iteratively
> retrieve everything, without launching an actual dictionary attack on all
> possible mail addresses, which would be much harder.

You could remove SUBSTR matching rule from attribute type description of
'mail' (in core.schema or core.ldif).

Caveats:

1. Probably you already know that tweaking standard schema is not recommend.

2. It disables sub-string matching on 'mail' completely. You might solve
this by building a partial replica or a LDAP proxy dedicated to the
exact search on known e-mail addresses.

AFAICS other possibilities would be implementing an overlay or a dynacl
module for your specific needs.

Ciao, Michael.