Re: NO-USER-MODIFICATION and USAGE dSAOperation in custom schema

Howard Chu wrote:
> Michael Ströder wrote:
>> Why is it not allowed to use
>>
>>    NO-USER-MODIFICATION
>>    USAGE dSAOperation
>>
>> in an attribute type declaration?
>
> Because such an operational attribute requires server-side code to
> actually implement it, and you haven't got any means to provide that
> code. Custom operational attributes must be defined using code loaded in
> a module.
>>
>> For OATH-LDAP I'd like to define a "virtual" attribute (actually to be
>> processed by back-sock listener) without having to write a slapd overlay.
This *is* the server-side code!

It somewhat defeats the idea of back-sock or similar if I still have to
implement an overlay to simply define appropriate schema (in my case for
OATH-LDAP).

IMO it does not any harm to allow .schema files to contain such an
attribute type description.

Ciao, Michael.