Re: Can't add "same" mail attribute with different cases.

mail is a CASE IGNORE string. I,E, Case changes do not make the strings different.

--
O'Reilly Active Directory Fifth Edition - http://link.joeware.org/AD5E

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 6:03 PM, Patrick Zacharias <LittleFighter19@web.de> wrote:
When trying to add new value towards the mail attribute, which is essentially the same address just with different cases, it is prevented.

I created an user like this:

dn: uid=patrick,ou=people,dc=example,dc=org
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: shadowAccount
uid: patrick
sn: User
givenName: patrick
cn: patrick
displayName: Patrick
uidNumber: 10001
gidNumber: 5000
userPassword: {SHA}[NOPE]
gecos: Patrick
loginShell: /bin/bash
homeDirectory: /home/patrick

Then I wanted to add another mail with different casing, because according to RFC 5321 those two could be different email addresses:

dn: uid=patrick,ou=people,dc=example,dc=org
changetype: modify
add: mail
mail: Example@googlemail.com

However this fails with

ldap_modify: Type or value exists (20)
        additional info: modify/add: mail: value #0 already exists

While doing the same with

dn: uid=patrick,ou=people,dc=example,dc=org
changetype: modify
add: mail
mail: Example123@googlemail.com

It works fine.