OpenLDAP with OpenSSL 1.1.0

I am trying to build OpenLDAP from source on Linux with OpenSSL 1.1.0. I first tried version 2.4.44 and found that didn't work due to the API changes in OpenSSL 1.1.0. I then filed ITS 8488 on the problem, which was quickly closed with the comment " Already supported in git master. Closing this ITS.".

So I then got a copy of the git master and tried a build and it still fails in configure a follows:

conftest.c:106: undefined reference to `SSL_library_init'
configure:15618: result: no
configure:15864: error: Could not locate TLS/SSL package

This function is no longer present in OpenSSL 1.1.0 so it would appear the OpenLDAP configure script should be checking the version of OpenSSL before looking for the SSL_library_init symbol.

Is this a known problem? Should I file a bug? Or is support for OpenSSL 1.1.0 known to be incomplete?

Norm Green