Re: Does everybody end up writing their own directory management programs?

Saša-Stjepan Bakša wrote:
> On 19 September 2016 at 14:01, Shawn McKinney <smckinney@symas.com> wrote:
>>> On Sep 18, 2016, at 2:25 PM, John Lewis <oflameo2@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Right now I am trying to weigh my options for maintaining my POSIX
>>> accounts on an OpenLDAP tree.
>>>
>>> I learned today that ldap templates in ldapscripts really don't work, so
>>> if I want to go on using ldapscripts, I would have to run ldapmodify
>>> after every account is created to get the gecos configured properly and
>>> have a kerberos principal configured.
>>
>> You could use an IdM product [..]
>
> For long time I am using

IMO it would be better to just refer to the FAQ index entry:

And add/update missing entries/information therein.

To the original poster:
While I'm the author of one such tool (and therefore personally biased towards
that) I'd recommend to use your favourite scripting language with a decent LDAP
module to write your own custom tool. With such a solution you have full control
and you can easily make use of any existing data in your organization without
having to setup a big infrastructure.

Ciao, Michael.