Default LDIF Configuration

When running slapd with -f etc/openldap/slapd.ldif, I receive the following

line 5: unknown directive <dn:> outside backend info and database definitions.

By default slapd is using the .conf file instead, which works fine. This is the default ldif file, and line 5 seems to be the same as line 2 (first relevant line) from the configuration guide. I have tried using no options to configure ldap, with the same issues. I understand what the message is saying, but why does this conflict with the guide/default ldif file?