RE: Should I use OpenLDAP or PostgreSQL for this?

You might also consider a Linked Open Data format. A lot of governments are publishing information using these standards eg. https://www.data.gov/  https://www.denvergov.org/opendata It will allow you to link together data represented by a variety of schema and there are several platforms available, http://ckan.org/instances/# seems to be used by a lot of governments, there's also http://marmotta.apache.org/

-----Original Message-----
From: openldap-technical [mailto:openldap-technical-bounces@openldap.org] On Behalf Of Howard Chu
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2016 5:24 PM
To: John Lewis; openldap-technical@openldap.org
Subject: Re: Should I use OpenLDAP or PostgreSQL for this?

John Lewis wrote:
> I want to start a project to document my local government starting at
> the municipal level and going upwards from there. I want to build an
> interface to allow people to look up their representatives and their
> public servants by issue and geographic area or issue and get their
> contact information back.
>
> I want it to to have fast lookups so community organizers will come to
> my site first they want to find out who does what. I would also like
> it to be able to scale geographically so I can get local activist
> could have their own copy of the database on a local server that they
> can also delegate access to. I would like to delegate updates to a
> development version of the database to other people similar to Open
> Street Map, but I would still like to verify changes so there won't be
> a flood of bad data. The presentation and the data storage will be separate components.
>
> Knowing this information could you tell me what data management engine
> would be more appropriate for the task?

I have a strong suspicion that OpenLDAP will be the superior solution for this problem, but you can't say definitively, based on a brief description. I would suggest you start to draw out on paper the types of information you plan to store, and group the related items together. This will give you some idea of what your basic DB records will contain. Then draw out what kinds of search operations you plan to support, or what kinds of data you expect users to be able to retrieve. Figure out what natural interconnections and relationships exist between your records.

Most real world problem sets don't break down into 100% pure tabular data structures, nor do they break down into 100% pure hierarchical structures. But if you find there's a natural hierarchy like
    geographic area
       county
           municipality

as I said before, I would suspect that the hierarchical structure will be a more natural fit. Also, given your requirement to scale out geographically - this is trivial to do with OpenLDAP; it is quite cumbersome to do with SQL servers.

--
   -- Howard Chu
   CTO, Symas Corp.           https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.symas.com&d=CwICaQ&c=jcv3orpCsv7C4ly8-ubDob57ycZ4jvhoYZNDBA06fPk&r=xN9AnMDZvO_QvUZQZcoply6WFqSJuNcpv-dDu2fA4Ac&m=G7GvgFVjXwwDOf-OM9yZYGM6XpSeBQLtbeJTCOoczQs&s=t9SqY_g1-dwPF2MygTA68l9uQfvKtHFz2sG_3zyiWiM&e=