Re: Antw: Intermediate certificates not being sent

On 7/27/2016 11:19 PM, Ulrich Windl wrote:
Nat Sincheler <fai1107@macrotex.net> schrieb am 26.07.2016 um 17:20 in
Nachricht <991f77f9-fd05-eb9b-7f07-f350c4a7bc68@macrotex.net>:

On 7/25/2016 11:24 PM, Ulrich Windl wrote:
Nat Sincheler <fai1107@macrotex.net> schrieb am 25.07.2016 um 19:06 in
Nachricht <c19c2a3a-3c90-5baa-43c7-800b050ea5b7@macrotex.net>:
We have an OpenLDAP server that is listening on port 636 over ldaps.
When I run

   openssl s_client -showcerts -connect ldap-server:636

I only see the host certificate. The intermediate and root certificates
do *not* come through.

If I di that on one of outr servers, I get:
Root CA
Intermediate CA
Server Certificate

New, TLSv1/SSLv3, Cipher is AES256-SHA
Server public key is 2048 bit

For this server I have in the file slapd.d/cn=config.ldif the setting

olcTLSCACertificatePath: /etc/ssl/certs

Hi!

Here it works with these settings:
olcTLSCACertificatePath: /etc/ssl/certs
olcTLSCertificateFile: /etc/ssl/servercerts/slapd.pem
olcTLSCertificateKeyFile: /etc/ssl/private/slapd.key

Could it be a permissions problem? Did you try to check the certificate
chain with openssl (preferrable as LDAP user)?

When I run the openssl s_client command I get no errors, but I also get
no intermediate or root certificates sent. I see this in the output: "No
client certificate CA names sent".

Hi!

To me it looks like a problem with your certificates. Try to verify them using openssl, like this:
openssl verify -CApath /etc/ssl/certs -verbose /etc/ssl/servercerts/slapd.pem
/etc/ssl/servercerts/slapd.pem: OK

%  grep -R Certificate *.ldif

olcTLSCACertificatePath: /etc/ssl/certs
olcTLSCertificateFile: /etc/ssl/certs/server.pem
olcTLSCertificateKeyFile: /etc/ssl/private/server.key

% directory2:/etc/ldap# openssl verify -CApath /etc/ssl/certs -verbose /etc/ssl/certs/server.pem

/etc/ssl/certs/server.pem: OK

So, the openssl command line can find the certificate chain. Why can't openldap?

Regards,
Ulrich

It appears that OpenLDAP is not sending the intermediate or root
certificates.

However, if I put all the intermediate and root certificates into a
single file and point olcTLSCACertificateFile at this file, those
intermediate certificates _are_ sent.

So, it appears that olcTLSCACertificateFile sends the certificates but
but olcTLSCACertificatePath does not.

Am I misunderstanding the purpose olcTLSCACertificatePath?

Thanks.

Regards,
Ulrich

I checked and all the intermediate and root certificates are in
/etc/ssl/certs soft-linked via the usual OpenSSL rehash hash, e.g.,

   lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 42 Jul 14 19:03 b4261fc2.0 ->
/etc/ssl/certs/incommon-usertrust-2024.pem

Any idea why the intermediate and root certificates do not get sent to
the LDAPS client? Is there something in the LDAP log that might give me
a clue as to what is going on?