openldap 2.4.44 - delta-syncrepl fails on auditContext

Delta-Syncrepl has started failing to actually replicate the consumer starting with an empty database, it fails with code 0x50 because of the auditContext attribute that is present in the suffix entry on the master server due to the accesslog overlay being used.

I can make it work if I load the accesslog overlay in the replica's configuration (without actually configuring it). This appears to be new behavior since 2.4.42.

Is this expected, and now required with 2.4.44, or should I open an ITS?