Re: Question about ldap_init()/ldap_initialize() behavior with OpenLDAP

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016, Howard Chu wrote:
> Frank Crow wrote:
> > However either case call determines the default host, I'm not yet
> > sure.  It may be that the ldap.conf file (or the environment
> > variables) are only used by the ldap command line tools and not the
> > underlying API itself.
>
> The ldap.conf(5) man page is quite explicit already. "Environmental
> variables may also be used to augment the file based defaults."

I believe his concern is the lack of reference in the ldap_init(3)
documentation to ldap.conf(5) or any statement that the settings described
there affect the ldap_init() behavior.  ldap(3) has a SEE ALSO for
ldap.conf(5), but no prose mention that would explain why you would look
there or when it would be applicable.  <shurg>

Frank, source-wise: ldap_init()->ldap_create()->ldap_int_initialize()
where the bits described in ldap.conf(5) are implemented.

Philip Guenther