RE: Invalid credentials

> The default pidfile location is /var/run/slapd/slapd.pid, and the init
script does "mkdir $(dirname $pidfile)" during startup.

There is no /var/run/slapd...

> However, your pidfile is set to /var/run/slapd.pid, so probably nothing is
creating /var/run/slapd.

Aha.

> A workaround to get you going would be to change your pidfile setting to
/var/run/slapd/slapd.pid.

Done.

> To restore sanity, you may want to

> chown -R openldap:openldap /var/lib/ldap /etc/ldap/slapd.conf

Done.

> (and /etc/ldap/slapd.d, if it exists)

It does not (I've renamed it for the moment as a means of forcing the init
script to use slapd.conf, as it won't if /etc/ldap/slapd.d exists)

Ok. A quick test to see if that solves some of the problem.

Good news, slapd is now starting properly without manual intervention, and
var/run/slapd/slapd.pid exists. Much rejoicing throughout the kingdom.

>> database bdb

> And time to upgrade to MDB backend as well, but obviously with lower
priority, after the current fire has been put out. :)

Perhaps - I kept bdb because I'm working with older bdb databases; at some
point I'll have to figure out how to convert.

> I have no evidence that indexing is your problem, but in an odd situation
like yours, I might re-index just to rule that out:

> sudo -u openldap slapindex -f /etc/ldap/slapd.conf -q

Hmm. The result of which is:

56c9ff8f bdb_db_open: database "dc=drbhome,dc=ca": database already in use.
56c9ff8f backend_startup_one (type=bdb, suffix="dc=drbhome,dc=ca"):
bi_db_open failed! (-1)
slap_startup failed