unique contraint bypassed by java modify (and correctly enforced by pytho/ldapmodify)

Hi,

i have been stryggling with a unique contraint that i being
constrantly bypassed by a java script.

I setup the ldap server and unique layer and I virified that the
uniquened on a field is correctly enforce using ldapmodify, ldapvi,
python and one more widget tool.

There is a java program I have not written (I don't know java) that
constantly bypasses the constraint and I can't really understand how
it can. It seems to perform the same operation I do: given an
existing item, change mail field.

What can it be that is different from one and the other situation?
All programs connect with simple authentication + tls.

Thanks for any possible hints

sandro
*:-)

PS: I thought to bypass this problem switching to back-sql +
PostgreSQL so that I openned up to other problems, subject of a
separate email...