Re: Change userPassword

Thanks to all who replied. I did not realize or remember that the output of ldapsearch was base64 encoded for userPassword. Decoding gives me the string I expect, so it is set correctly in the database. Since testsaslauthd works, I just need to get ldap to reference the saslauthd, which is still failing.

Regards,
Chuck

On 09/03/2015 11:12 AM, Peter Heinemann wrote:
Note that the key as to whether it's base64 encoded is the double colon --

userPassword:: ijlkci0ij297clkjljk

In addition to Dan's technique, in a Linux (and perhaps other nixes)  shell you can:

echo " ijlkci0ij297clkjljk " | base 64 -d
From: openldap-technical [openldap-technical-bounces@openldap.org] on behalf of Dan White [dwhite@cafedemocracy.org]
Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2015 2:07 PM
To: Chuck Theobald
Cc: openldap-technical@openldap.org
Subject: Re: Change userPassword

On 09/03/15 10:54 -0700, Chuck Theobald wrote:
I am finding it impossible to set user passwords to the form
{SASL}name@ad.domain.my

ldapmodify can delete userPassword, and can add it again but ends of
setting it to a hash despite trying password-hash {CLEARTEXT} and
password-hash {SASL} in slapd.conf. And no, I am not using slapd.d.
By hash, I assume you mean base64 encoding, which is how ldapsearch
displays contents of userPassword when retrieved. uudecode the contents to
see the actual data.

Here's a simple perl script I use:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use MIME::Base64;

print decode_base64($ARGV[0]);
print "\n";

If you are actually retrieving a crypt(3) style hash, verify you are not
running ldapmodify with an extention (-E) and that you are not doing
something strange with an overlay.

password-hash should only come into play when performing an ldap password
extended operation, such as with ldappasswd.

Every post I find taunts me with things like "oh, set the userpassword
to {SASL}<blah@blah.com> and it will Just Work". This simple step
eludes me. I am seriously missing some thing quit easy.

--
Dan White

--
Chuck Theobald