group email addresses

i have done some reading, and it seems that no official standard exists for group email addresses. to that end, i am looking to enlighten myself about what is done to provide mail addresses for groupOfNames groups. i would imagine there is some overlap between what many or most folks do and that would be a good starting point for me. i figure its something like "you have 7 steps to perform, and everyone does step 1,2,3 and 5 the same way. the rest, you are on your own for."

i want to setup mailboxes for these groups, for example:

cn=ldapAdmins,ou=domainGroups,ou=Groups,dc=bpk2,dc=com
cn=ldapEngineers,ou=domainGroups,ou=Groups,dc=bpk2,dc=com

these are groupOfNames structural groups, with top and posixGroup classes as aux. where do most folks begin, when setting up group mailboxes? i found a schema that is not official and has been extended with the same names but different numerical OIDs. I am not sure if this is the right path to follow, or if something more "standards focused" is appropriate. any help is appreciated.

thanks,

brendan