does slapd store/cache TLS certs

hi everybody,

I could not connect to slapd, command would fail with infamous:

TLS: error: connect - force handshake failure: errno 0 - moznss error -5938
TLS: can't connect: TLS error -5938:Encountered end of file.
ldap_err2string
ldap_start_tls: Connect error (-11)
    additional info: TLS error -5938:Encountered end of file

I was positive about certs, restarted daemons, looked at other obvious places, etc. - nothing. Only after I removed database & config files, recreated/restarted the whole slap it worded.

Would it be that slapd caches certificates somewhere and does not re-read those upon restart?

many thanks