slapadd 4096-character LDIF line length limitation

I wanted to ask if someone could shed some light on the 4096 character LDIF line length limitation, which seems to have been introduced sometime after 2.4.25. I learned about this the hard way, while trying to slapadd an LDIF file with long jpegPhoto attributes (e.g. 50K+) which loaded just fine on 2.4.25. Now, I get this error:

ldif_parse_line: jpegPhoto: invalid base64 encoding char (556b9f15 <= str2entry: str2ad(....) slapadd: could not parse entry (line=14)

When I need to preprocess LDIF files before loading them with slapadd, I often remove line continuations in order to simplify pattern matching. So of course from my perspective, it would be great to have the previous behavior back again. But if there are compelling reasons for the current behavior, I'd like to suggest that the code print a better error message that explicitly mentions the line length limit.

Regards,

    -Kartik