Re: Create Mailing List

On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 07:16:38AM -0400, Jerry wrote:

> Is it possible to create a "mailing list" in openldap?  My MUA allows me to
> create an alias like "MyGroup" that would then contain all the email addresses
> of the people in the group. I can then simply type that alias and it is
> replaced by the actual email addresses. I am looking for something like that
> in openldap. I realize that I can associate multiple email addresses to a
> single name; however, only one address can be chosen at a time.

There are many ways to represent mailing-lists in LDAP. The big question
is what is going to use the data? If you expect your MUA to add every
recipient to the To or Cc list then the MUA has to interpret the LDAP
data. Most MUAs have very limited flexibility in how they use LDAP.

More likely you want the MTA (mail program such as Exim, Postfix,
Sendmail etc) to expand the list. Most of them have config languages
that are flexible enough to handle various representations but you will
have to write the appropriate code.

Another option is to use a dedicated mailing-list management system
like Gnu Mailman or SYMPA. The more modern systems can store list members
in LDAP, but may require you to structure your data in a particular way.

Andrew