Re: external authentication source

Am Thu, 12 Mar 2015 14:00:02 +0100
schrieb Hallvard Breien Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no>:

> On 12. mars 2015 13:03, Dieter Klünter wrote:
> > rfc-4422 describes an EXTERNAL mechanism. Is there any means of
> > defining and configuring an external authentication and
> > authorization source, like an external sasl server? Or is this just
> > confined to the client to provide an appropriate authorization
> > string?
>
> EXTERNAL means the credentials are passed in another layer than SASL
> (or LDAP): A TLS client certificate, or with ldapi:// (Unix domain
> sockets) some OSes including Linux can get the user/group ID from the
> socket. Try "ldapwhoami -H ldapi://".

RFC 4422 describes a 'EXTERNAL mechanism allows a client to request
the server to use credentials established by means external to the
mechanism to authenticate the client.'

> What you describe sounds to me more like stuff like Kerberos tickets.
> These are passed inside a SASL mechanism (GSSAPI), after SASL on
> the server side is configured to check them against a Kerberos server.

It is a more bit complicated than Krb5 and GSSAPI. I'm in a
erlang/OTP environment which provides an authorization server, called
sasl server. I have no clue yet, what this sasl server provides. But
there is a requirement that slapd accepts the authorization string,
which should be mapped to a DN. Mapping seems to be not a problem.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung
http://sys4.de