Re: cannot start instance

On Thu, 2015-01-01 at 23:17 +0100, Michael Ströder wrote:
> Brendan Kearney wrote:

> >> Why don't you read Quanah's clear answer more carefully?
> >>

> > because it is irrelevant.
> >
> > clearly, the above proves that the parameters i am using are not the
> > problem.
>
> You're wrong:
> If you use LDAP URIs in server IDs this LDAP URI has to be used with -h.
>
> But of course you're free to ignore advice.
> But don't whine if you're ignored then.
>
> Ciao, Michael.

stated where?

       -h URLlist
              slapd  will  by  default  serve ldap:/// (LDAP over TCP on
all interfaces on default LDAP port).  That is, it will bind using
INADDR_ANY and
              port 389.  The -h option  may  be  used  to  specify  LDAP
(and  other  scheme)  URLs  to  serve.   For  example,  if  slapd  is
given  -h
              "ldap://127.0.0.1:9009/  ldaps:///  ldapi:///",  it will
listen on 127.0.0.1:9009 for LDAP, 0.0.0.0:636 for LDAP over TLS, and
LDAP over IPC
              (Unix domain sockets).  Host 0.0.0.0 represents INADDR_ANY
(any interface).  A space separated list of URLs is expected.  The URLs
should be
              of  the  LDAP, LDAPS, or LDAPI schemes, and generally
without a DN or other optional parameters (excepting as discussed
below).  Support for
              the latter two schemes depends on selected configuration
options.  Hosts may be specified by name or IPv4 and IPv6 address
formats.   Ports,
              if specified, must be numeric.  The default ldap:// port
is 389 and the default ldaps:// port is 636.

              For LDAP over IPC, name is the name of the socket, and no
port is required, nor allowed; note that directory separators must be
URL-encoded,
              like any other characters that are special to URLs; so the
socket

                      /usr/local/var/ldapi

              must be specified as

                      ldapi://%2Fusr%2Flocal%2Fvar%2Fldapi

              The default location for the IPC socket is /var/run/ldapi

              The listener permissions are indicated by
"x-mod=-rwxrwxrwx", "x-mod=0777" or "x-mod=777", where any of the "rwx"
can be "-" to suppress the
              related  permission,  while  any  of  the  "7" can be any
legal octal digit, according to chmod(1).  The listeners can take
advantage of the
              "x-mod" extension to apply rough limitations to
operations, e.g. allow read operations ("r", which applies to  search
and  compare),  write
              operations  ("w", which applies to add, delete, modify and
modrdn), and execute operations ("x", which means bind is required).
"User" per‐
              missions apply  to  authenticated  users,  while  "other"
apply  to  anonymous  users;  "group"  permissions  are  ignored.   For
example,
              "ldap:///????x-mod=-rw-------";  means that read and write
is only allowed for authenticated connections, and bind is required for
all opera‐
              tions.  This feature is experimental, and requires to be
manually enabled at configure time.

       serverID <integer> [<URL>]
              Specify an integer ID from 0 to 4095 for this server
(limited to 3 hexadecimal digits).  The ID may also be specified as a
hexadecimal ID by
              prefixing the value with "0x".  These IDs are required
when using multimaster replication and each master must have a unique
ID.  Note  that
              this  requirement  also applies to separate masters
contributing to a glued set of databases.  If the URL is provided, this
directive may be
              specified multiple times, providing a complete list of
participating servers and their IDs. The fully  qualified  hostname  of
each  server
              should  be  used in the supplied URLs. The IDs are used in
the "replica id" field of all CSNs generated by the specified server.
The default
              value is zero.  Example:

            serverID 1

also, i did try that, as i put A, CNAME and IP values into the
ldap://<...>/ URL, and all three failed.