Re: Cannot add to mdb

On 26/11/2014 22:47, Dieter Klünter wrote:
Am Wed, 26 Nov 2014 19:34:49 +1000
schrieb Da Rock <openldap-technical@herveybayaustralia.com.au>:

On 26/11/2014 18:28, Dieter Klünter wrote:
Am Wed, 26 Nov 2014 10:31:47 +1000
schrieb Da Rock <openldap-technical@herveybayaustralia.com.au>:

I'm trying to get openldap to play nice with mdb given that it is
the "recommended" database backend for it now- although the conf
wasn't an issue excepting I'm playing with the new cn=config setup
we're expected to use now as well (even though it is mainly
broken).

My issue is that it seems to not respond like the older bdb/hdb
databases. And when I say respond, I mean it hangs the ldapadd and
makes slapd go into conniptions. I see slapd go to 100% WCPU and
not come down as well as going into a uwait state. I've left it
going for 10 minutes or more with no change, and I'm only adding 1
small entry of less the 10 lines. Strangely, I can still view
other entries in the specific db as well access the rest of the
server, which I won't complain about (aren't threads a wonderful
invention? ).

So coming to the experts - got a fix at all? Or should I just go
back to ye olde db backends? At this point I have a db I can't add
anything to.
[...]
Did you read man slapd-mdb(5), in particular on the parameters
envflags and maxsize?

-Dieter

Is there anything specific I should look at? These options look
similar to what I read in the manual for the config.
Yes, the issue you are describing is most likely based a to small
database size.

Ok. I'm not sure I understand. I have the max db size set 50mb (52428800), default is 10. It currently sits at 64k. I'm adding one entry of about 10 lines, so max of a kb - but even say couple of kb it still shouldn't spit.

Are you saying I need to start with an even bigger db? Or I can't increase the size? Keeping in mind I'm just testing atm too. Once I have a complete picture I'll have a better plan for sizing in the long term. Perhaps I should backup to ldif and try again?

Although that does raise an interesting question - why would that particular fault cause slapd to increase cpu usage?