Re: Addressbook in LDAP ... should be simple right?

Adam,

Adam Goryachev schrieb (08.07.2014 06:28 Uhr):

PS, the context is to try and replace MS Outlook with Mozilla Thunderbird. With email in IMAP4, that works well. I can share the calendar from thunderbird to iphones/android phones with http://calendarserver.org/. Now I'm just trying to resolve the "shared contacts" issue, which is currently solved by copying (at login) a pst file from a share to the local users profile, and having that configured to open in outlook (add pst data file). I'd prefer to replace all that with ldap, since thunderbird supports ldap for an addressbook, and it would then update immediately (instead of after next login). Also, long term it would be useful to use ldap for other web based login authentication, squid proxy auth, and/or even windows authentication, but, one step/problem at a time.
Good move!
Think about using something like SOGo instead of the mentioned calendar server. As mentioned before Thunderbird and groups in LDAP is a mess. I'm not sure right now, if SOGo can display LDAP groups as address book groups better, but you can use openldap as authentication source and manage the address groups in the shareable CardDAV address books. Maybe this works with calendarsever as well. But the Thunderbird integration of SOGo is the best I've seen so far. You may check it out.

Marc