meta backend NOT working in parallel???

Hi there,

my goal was to use one openldap server as a proxy to a couple of ldap backends (targets) running on different hosts for user authentication.

This works fine if all servers can be reached, there is either no answer or (usually) one from one of the backends.

If one of these servers is not reachable due to e.g. a firewall, the meta_search_dobind_init hangs waiting to connect to this candidate, and after a timeout, retries one time. In the meantime, no other candidates are tried.

>From the documentation and several discussions, I understood that meta would connect in parallel to all the candidates and return whatever answer it got. Am I mistaken, or are there any configuration parameters that I am unaware of to achieve the desired behaviour?

Kind regards

Michael