Re: strategy for getting groupOfNames (AD) and posixAccount (Unix) to coexist?

thanks very much...  started digging knot the official admin guide again yesterday.

I'm paranoid about breaking the automation we've been able to achieve with this so far...

----- Original Message -----
From: harry jede <harry.jede@arcor.de>
To: openldap-technical@openldap.org
Sent: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 04:55:26 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: strategy for getting groupOfNames (AD) and posixAccount (Unix) to coexist?

Jefferson Davis wrote:
> So I've read, however, there is very little documentation on
> implementation, at least that I've been able to find.
There are tons of information about nis, rf2307 and/or rfc207bis.
However it is easy to search but often hard to find.

So before you search the web, try using the right docs:
openldap admin guide & faq
http://http://www.openldap.org/

openldap man pages

openldap test suite ( in source tgz). Yes, read the sources.

the archive of this mailing list

the rfcs
http://http://tools.ietf.org/rfc/index

use the latest rfc2307bis rfc draft
http://http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-howard-rfc2307bis-02

the docs & man pages for your favorite nss software
padls old nss suite
arthur de jonngs suite (nss-pam-ldapd)
and finaly
openldaps nssov contrib modul

That, using posixGroup structural OC, is true for the quite old and
obsolet nis schema.

> The rfc2307bis.schema provides auxiliary object classes to solve
> this. In addition you may use the groupOfNames objectclass.
or the groupOfMembers objectclass from draft-howard-rfc2307bis-02,
because this oc supports empty groups and has ordering rules for
uidnumber/gidnumber

> > In attempting to future-proof our ldap services, and to accommodate
> > the AD-Focused nature of commercial products, I'm attempting to get
> > this to all work automatically, ie use the same group setup for
> > both (probably naive and ill-advised?).
Windows groups and unix groups are not the same thing. So, that you have
issues with them is quite normal.

> > But you CANNOT have
> > multiple structural objectclasses in a single entry. So these
> > requirements put group structures in direct opposition of one
> > another.
Only right for nis schema and rf2307 schems, use rfc2307bis (latest
version).

> > Has anyone resolved this successfully, and if so, how? Overlays
> > (which ones, examples)? Schema mods (examples?)
> >
> > Splitting groups off as unix groups vs windows groups (sync could
> > get ugly) and could run into other issues with respect to file and
> > dir permissions.
> >
> > I also need to avoid breaking smbldap-tools, which at the moment
> > appears NOT to support the groupofnames model.
Good joke,
smbldap-tools was designed for today unsupported samba versions.
Use samba-ad and forget smbldap-tools forever.

> > Building this on CentOS 6, OpenLDAP 2.4.23-34, and migrating from
> > older OpenLDAP version.
Use a recent version of openldap, not this old stuff. If you must use
the CentOS 6 release of openldap, this list is not yours.

> > I'm somewhat open to considering a
> > different LDAP service (389/Apache/OpenDJ) though I've found java
> > to be a resource pig in the extreme, and would prefer to avoid if
> > possible.
Use perls NET::LDAP modul.

--

Harry Jede

--

Jefferson K Davis
Technology and Information Systems Manager

District Users:  Click here to report technology issues