RE: Syncrepl and mmr

When googling the error I found this:

http://serverfault.com/questions/474008/cant-write-to-openldap-shadow-context-no-update-referral

--Pasted  Below--

Can't write to OpenLDAP: "shadow context; no update referral"
up vote 1 down vote favorite

I just set up an OpenLDAP server (v2.4.23) and loaded some data. I can browse and edit via Apache Directory Studio, but not deletions all fail.

For example, I tried to delete a list of DNs from a file:

ldapdelete -f rmroles.txt -W -D "cn=admin,cn=config"

but it dies with the message:

ldap_delete: Server is unwilling to perform (53)
        additional info: shadow context; no update referral

Most of the info I've found suggests that this is related to replication, but I haven't set up replication on this server yet. olcReadOnly is FALSE, and I've set olcAccess to to * by * manage.

Any other ideas what could be wrong?
openldap deleting
share|improve this question

asked Jan 30 '13 at 22:45
Brad Mace
5171417
	add comment

1 Answer
active oldest votes
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Apparently just having the olcMirrorMode attribute present on cn=config (even when set to FALSE) is enough to trigger shadow context. Delete the attribute and restart slapd.
share|improve this answer

answered Jan 31 '13 at 1:29
Brad Mace
5171417

Another contribution: I was defining olcMirrorMode on a separate "changetype: modify" in the end of the .ldif file. It does not seem to be a good idea. When I added the olcMirrorMode as part of the previous "changetype: modify" I as doing, it ran successfully. -  Richard Gomes Oct 9 '13 at 21:49

Thanks for your help Quanah

John