Re: Slow to add 1 million items

On 02/05/2014 11:45 AM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
Ok.  I had some wierd perf issues with Ubuntu10 and Ubuntu12.  I was
able to resolve them on Ubuntu12 by upgrading to a newer 3.x kernel
(currently 3.10.11-031011-generic on my Ubuntu12 box).

Also, it isn't necessary to use ext4 (I use ext2 for the ldap data with
mdb).  ext4 in the 2.x kernel has some serious perf problems as well
(when using writemap).

Yeah, what he said. :-) It's also worth compiling from source rather than just using whatever version of whatever binaries some distro provides. It's not hard and that way you have control over exactly what version of OpenLDAP you run regardless of distro.

BTW, I was using xfs for the OpenLDAP instance I sorta optimized for writes that I benchmarked recently. I think Howard and/or Quanah did a bunch of benchmarking of the MDB back-end on a whole bunch of filesystems and ext2 won. I use XFS simply cuz a modern version of XFS is decently fast, yields more usable space than ext4, and I really wanted a journaled filesystem. OpenLDAP on XFS was good 'nuff for my purposes, but it's prob'ly significantly faster on ext2 (from what I read).

Brent