Antw: RE: Have you seen this FUD - IT pros suffer OpenLDAP configuration headaches ?

<070e01cf1eeb$ded56ab0$9c804010$@acm.org>:
> [...]

Why not check-in the config directory? It shouldn't change that often.
You could check in the "slapcat" also, but ordering of entries may be somewhat, well, chaotic.
Personally I wrote a program that postprocesses the slapcat LDIF output to write the entries in a structured directory (similar to slapd.d) while avoiding line breaks in the LDIF. I wonder whether it would make sense to sort the attribute namess of an entry (I already have one file per entry)...

> Currently, with the flat file, the authoritative configuration is stored in
> a revision control system. When there are any changes to be made, they are
> made in a development branch, tested, then reviewed and approved to be
> merged into the production branch, at which point they are pushed out to the
> system. I'm not really sure how to do that with the dynamic cn=config
> method.

Well maybe you'd need another tool, like LDIF-diff-to-ldapmodify ;-)

> For example, currently our revision control system could tell us exactly
> what configuration was in place seven weeks ago. How would you do that with
> cn=config? I suppose you could have a change log document in revision
> control, but unlike the actual configuration file in revision control,
> there's no way to say whether or not the changes made dynamically via
> cn=config are exactly matched to the changelog. Unless perhaps the ldif
> executing the change is maintained in revision control?

I'm experimenting with importing LDAP database backups into Git with structured LDIFs as described above. Anybody else?

Regards,
Ulrich