Re: OpenLDAP compatibility between client and server of different versions

--On Saturday, February 01, 2014 12:51 AM +0100 "Fabien C." <t74jgwb88tli9ch@jetable.org> wrote:

On 01/02/2014 00:44, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
As for replication, you should use the same version of OpenLDAP between
all nodes (provider(s) and consumer(s)). Preferably a current release.

Sure, but this makes migration to a new OpenLDAP version complicated in a
production environment as you cannot necessarily migrate every slave and
the master server software at the same time.

Is there a protocol version number mentioned in the code that I could use
to know about compatibility?

I know some different versions work well in a master-slave replication
configuration because I had such a setup.

Sure, the end goal should be to get all servers running the same version. I upgrade between 2.4 versions all the time, so there are intervals of time where the provider and replicas are on different releases. Also OpenLDAP 2.4 consumers can run temporarily with an OpenLDAP 2.3 provider.

Architect - Server
Zimbra, Inc.