Re: ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)

Debian Wheezy's package does include sasl external auth by default, so you should be able to use Dan's suggestion.  Also you can run dpkg-reconfigure slapd to set an admin account (cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com) and a password for your bdb or hdb database.  However you wouldn't want to use that account anyway to add a schema as that needs to be added to the cn=schema,cn=config directory.