Re: Upgrading from Ubuntu-packaged 2.4.28 to self-built 2.4.38

This is what I've done so far on a test server that is a copy of our
production server:

1. slapcat -bcn=config -l config.ldif
2. slapcat -l backup.ldif
3. Uninstalled Ubuntu installation of OpenLDAP
4. Built and installed new version of OpenLDAP using default locations

I'm now a bit stuck at getting the new installation of OpenLDAP to
build the new databases. I've gone through the config.ldif built in
step 1, changing the Ubuntu LDAP paths to what I believe are the
default OpenLDAP locations. If I don't have a slapd.d directory in
/usr/local/etc/ldap when I try to slapadd the config.ldif file in, it
complains that I don't have a config.ldif file in /usr/local/etc/ldap.

If I copy the slapd.d directory from /etc/ldap (where Ubuntu stored
it) into /usr/local/etc/ldap, my problem then is that (a) the
configuration is still pointing at various Ubuntu locations but,
worse, (b) trying to use slapadd reports this error:

lt_dlopenext failed: (back_hdb) file not found

All of the various bits of code seem to be in /usr/local/libexec/ldap
so I suspect a path or something needs to be set/adjusted ...

Many thanks for any suggestions/corrections.

Philip