Re: ldap users shows up in user list, but unable to login

On Fri, 2013-11-01 at 19:30 +0530, slacker lnx wrote:
> But on one of the client, I am unable to login (through ssh) using the
> ldap userids. When I login as root and try to switch user I get a
> message 'user does not exist' (getent passwd and ldapsearch shows the
> user).

One thing that could affect this is whether 'getent shadow' also shows
the user information. If 'getent passwd' show x as a password hash and
no shadow entry is present pam_unix will block logins.

> What else can I check, which other config files do I need to look at?

Any information from the logs as to which PAM module blocks the login
would be helpful.

Another thing that could cause problems what LDAP data changes is nscd.

--
-- arthur - arthur@arthurdejong.org - http://arthurdejong.org/ --