Re: Need to Create Default Printer Entries

> On Oct 17, 2013, at 4:33 PM, Aaron Richton <richton@nbcs.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 17 Oct 2013, MI wrote:
>>
>> What I would like to do is to create a new database in my DIT, call it say defaultPrinters, which contains left side username, right side printer; i.e.:
>> [...]
>> Additionally, I would like to be able to add an allowable attribute under People, named defaultPrinters, which points to the database that I am trying to create.
>
> So you have uid=richton,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com and you'd like to add:
>
> defaultPrinters: ou=Printers,dc=example,dc=com

Correct, and uncertain how to do this, I assume via an LDIF?  Didn't mention this earlier, I am using Oracle Directory Server Enterprise Edition, shouldn't matter though.

> as an attribute to uid=richton? Or to ou=People? I'm not clear on that.

Ideally, as an attribute to uid=richton, but not required.

> Regardless, what does the indirection accomplish? Why not just give the users their favorites:

How, and where in my DIT should I define this?

> uid=richton,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com
> [...]
>  defaultPrinter;x-os-unix: lp1onfire
>  defaultPrinter;x-app-cad: bigplotter
>  defaultPrinter;x-os-windows: \\laser\printer

> perhaps utilizing slapo-constraint(5) to make sure that all defaultPrinter values have a matching entry along the lines of
>
> cn=lp1onfire,ou=Printers,dc=example,dc=com
> [...]
>  printer-uri: ipp://127.0.0.1/

Not sure what this would accomplish, the new DB doesn't have to point at the Printers DB.