Re: memberof overlay results in unexpected slapd death?

Could you please try to reproduce this with OpenLDAP from git repo?

It contains a fix for ITS#7710:

http://www.openldap.org/its/index.cgi?findid=7710

RE snapshot link in case you don't want to use command-line git:

http://www.openldap.org/devel/gitweb.cgi?p=openldap.git;a=snapshot;h=refs/heads/OPENLDAP_REL_ENG_2_4;sf=tgz

Ciao, Michael.

Paul B. Henson wrote:
> Our LDAP infrastructure is currently running 2.4.35, and consists of two
> read/write masters configured in mirror mode behind the load balancer, with
> three additional read-only slaves using syncrepl. We recently decided to add
> the memberof overlay to our configuration, due to an application that did
> not support querying the groups for members.
>
> I updated our configuration to load the module, and add the overlay, and
> proceeded to rip through all of our groups removing and then re-adding the
> members in order to populate the memberOf attribute on the user objects.
>
> While doing so, there were errors logged on all of the servers:
>
> Oct 10 04:26:09 fosse slapd[9944]: conn=75373 op=184748:
> memberof_value_modify DN="uid=tdnguyen1,ou=user,dc=cs
> upomona,dc=edu" delete memberOf="uid=classes,ou=group,dc=csupomona,dc=edu"
> failed err=16
>
> This was expected, as the memberOf attribute did not exist in our current
> directory. However, what was unexpected was that the slapd processes started
> to mysteriously die while I was trying to repopulate the groups. No log
> messages, or any other indication of the failure, just attribute delete
> errors:
>
> Oct 10 04:29:39 filmore slapd[25526]: conn=-1 op=0: memberof_value_modify
> DN="uid=rfu,ou=user,dc=csupomona,dc=edu" delete
> memberOf="uid=mhr31806,ou=group,dc=csupomona,dc=edu" failed err=16
> Oct 10 04:29:39 filmore slapd[25526]: conn=-1 op=0: memberof_value_modify
> DN="uid=rfu,ou=user,dc=csupomona,dc=edu" delete
> memberOf="uid=mhr_classes,ou=group,dc=csupomona,dc=edu" failed err=16
>
> Then the process was gone. It was definitely related to mass group updates,
> they would run for hours with no problems under general use, but as soon as
> I started churning group members, bam, one or two of them would go away.
>
> I ended up backing out the modification, dumping the database, removing all
> of the memberOf attributes, and reloading it. I will try to duplicate this
> in a test environment with debugging enabled and see if I can get a better
> idea what's going on, but I was just curious if anyone had seen anything
> like this or knew of any underlying issues with the memberof overlay.
>
> Thanks much.

Beste Grüße,

Michael Ströder

--
Michael Ströder                 Klauprechtstr. 11
Dipl.-Inform.                   D-76137 Karlsruhe, Germany