memberof overlay replicating memberOf attribute?

Based on the documentation, my understanding was that the memberof overlay
maintained the memberOf attribute locally, and this attribute was not
replicated? While I was recently working on implementing the memberof
overlay, I noticed that after I had enabled it on one server, before
enabling it on another, the memberOf attribute seemed to be replicated from
the server on which the overlay was enabled to the one on which it was not:

Oct  7 18:30:18 filmore slapd[28994]: UNKNOWN attributeDescription
"MEMBEROF" inserted.
Oct  7 18:30:18 fosse slapd[3047]: UNKNOWN attributeDescription "MEMBEROF"
inserted.
Oct 10 16:23:08 pip-dev slapd[7030]: slapd starting
Oct 10 16:23:08 pip-dev slapd[7030]: UNKNOWN attributeDescription "MEMBEROF"
inserted.

This seems contrary to the documentation and I found it confusing. Am I
missing something?

Thanks.