ldapsearch: wildcard search do not list all entries

Hello,

I had a curious problem with ldapsearch:

A wildcard search like
  ldapsearch -LLL -Wx  -h myldap -D cn=xx -b dc=xx -b "ou=Accounts,xx" uid='xyzzs*' uid

lists only three entries:

   dn: uid=xyzzs146,ou=Accounts,xx
   uid: xyzzs146

   dn: uid=xyzzs147,ou=Accounts,xx
   uid: xyzzs147

   dn: uid=xyzzs148,ou=Accounts,xx
   uid: xyzzs148

though there exists more, which can be displayed with ldapsearch not specifying a filter or by specifying the object exactly like

  ldapsearch -LLL -Wx  -h myldap -D cn=xx -b dc=xx -b "ou=Accounts,xx" uid='xyzzs020' uid

Reindexing with slapindex solved the problem, ldapsearch with uid='xyzzs*' shows all those entries, not only three.
But I'm afraid that this happens again. Can you tell me how somethink like this can happen and how I can prevent such a situation?

The slapd is running on a RHLE 6.4 server, using a hdb database.
We indexed
olcDbIndex: objectClass pres,eq
olcDbIndex: entryUUID eq
olcDbIndex: entryCSN eq