[OT] is there any theory behind (|) being false?

Quote from RFC 4526:
An 'and' filter with zero elements always evaluates to True. An 'or' filter with zero elements always evaluates to False.

My question is, is there any theory this decision is based on, or is it randomly chosen?

Why not (&) being false, and (|) being true?

Or more specifically, we know 'FALSE && NULL' is FALSE, we know 'TRUE || NULL' is TRUE, but is there reason 'NULL && NULL' being true and 'NULL || NULL' being false?

Thanks:)