cn=config chaining or authzTo Strong(er) authentication required (8)

I am working on setting up a provider/consumer setup for openLDAP version
2.4.28.  Everything seems to be working other than referrals.  I can query
the consumers, I can write directly to the provider.  But I get the
following when I try to sent a ldapmadify to a consumer and it refers it to
the provider.

ldapmodify -W -D "uid=ldapadmin,ou=system,dc=example,dc=com" -H
ldap://tntest-ldap.example.com -c -f /tmp/epseake.ldif
Enter LDAP Password:
modifying entry "uid=ESPEAKE,ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com"
ldap_modify: Strong(er) authentication required (8)

If I run the modify against the provider with the same credentials it will
modify the record.  I have added authzTo dn.regex:^uid=
[^,]*,ou=system,dc=example,dc=com$.  I also added authzTo
ldap:///dc=example,dc=com???(objectClass=top)  This got rid of my error 10
on the referral but now it is asking for strong(er) authentication.  I do
have certificates on my servers in the correct locations and
olcTLSCertificate statements with the directories for the certs and keys.
THis is the final step I hope in getting the test environment completed and
ready for testing.  All help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Eric Speake
Web Systems Administrator
O'Reilly Auto Parts

This communication and any attachments are confidential, protected by Communications Privacy Act 18 USCS § 2510, solely for the use of the intended recipient, and may contain legally privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient, please return or destroy it immediately. Thank you.