Re: root cannot change user password with command "passwd", sssd, pam, openldap

I believe you can use the rootbinddn feature in pam_ldap.conf to allow the root user the ability to change other users' passwords via the passwd command, although it requires you to store rootbinddn's authentication info on the system which could constitute a security risk. See pam_ldap(5) for more info.

-Michael Proto