Question regarding authentication

Hi:

I have a doubt about how OS level authentication against an LDAP server could work, so I hope someone can point me to a solution.

If I have a lot of users in a Linux box with a common prefix in its usernames like these:

- prejvoorhees
- premjackson
- presjobs
- prebgates
- pretcruise

As you can see, all these have the prefix "pre" before it's real username (jvoorhees, mjackson, sjobs, bgates, tcruis, etc...).
I also have an OpenLDAP server with a users directory tree whose usernames are the same but without "pre", I mean they are jvoorhees, mjackson, sjobs, bgates, tcruis, etc....

So what I'd like to do if configure my Linux box (ldap client) so it can authenticate against the OpenLDAP server in this way:

- username prebgates authenticates with bgates in LDAP server.
- username pretcruise authenticates with tcruise in LDAP server.
- username prejvoorhees authenticates with jvoorhees in LDAP server.

Is this possible to do? Can I make a rule to supress the "pre" prefix before authentication against LDAP? If yes, where should I make this "rule": in the Linux box (ldap client) or in the LDAP Server?

I hope someone has any idea about this topic.

THanks in advance.

Bye