Re: How to improve performance with MDB backend?

--On Monday, April 08, 2013 4:49 AM -0700 Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

SaÅa-Stjepan BakÅa wrote:
Hi,

Maybe this is not the best way to ask but I would like to get some
performance expectations or maybe suggestions how to improve
performance. I do have relatively long experience with OpenLDAP as a
precompiled package and with much less users so performance was not an
issue for those installations.

Now I need to put few million users (now one million for test), custom
tailored schema and search performance is crucial but also modify
performance is big issue. Before MDB I have used HDB as backend.

What to do to improve write part of performance or performance in general
(when adding data â from time to time â OpenLDAP stalls in a way)?
Just around 5 add/mod operations during that time then it continue with
much higher speed.

I have used many different sources to find out other peoples experience
and I didn't choose to write to list lightly but I really need some
help/hints.

There's nothing particular to LMDB to tune. But if you're seeing pauses
due to disk I/O, as your iotop output seems to indicate, you might want
to look into using a different I/O scheduler.

Not quite true.  On Linux, I suggest setting the olcDbFlags as follows:

olcDbEnvFlags: writemap
olcDbEnvFlags: nometasync

With those flags set, writes are 65x faster for me with back-mdb than they are with back-hdb/back-bdb.

Sr. Member of Technical Staff
Zimbra, Inc
A Division of VMware, Inc.