Kinda stuck

Hello all,

New to the list, so be tolerant ? :-)

I am trying to build an ubuntu server 12.04 with openldap and samba.
I want openldap to handle aspects of the server like having a centrilized
user management and samba , naturally, for the shares.
In an ideal scenario, I would like this box to be able to authenticate
LAN users and create shares depending on each users' priviledges.

Anywhoo, I've been trying to built this for about three months now.
I cannot get it to work. At the moment I am stuck on smbldap-tools
and the (infamous ?) configure.pl script.

I've tried tons of howto's and manuals on the topic from the net.
But once I am stuck, I cannot continue past the aformentioned point.

Would anyone know of any resources out there ?
If you have any pointers, please share  . . . .

Thank you very much,

spyros