shadowLastChange can't be read

Hi there,

I can change the shadowLastChange attribute:

maria@mimi:~/sysadmin/ldap$ ldapmodify -x -v -r -W -D "cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com" -f pass.expldap_initialize( <DEFAULT> )
Enter LDAP Password:Â
replace shadowLastChange:
    15786
modifying entry "uid=chris,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com"
modify complete

But, I can't see it:

annette:~# ldapsearch -x "uid=chris" shadowLastChange
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <dc=example,dc=com> (default) with scope subtree
# filter: uid=chris
# requesting: shadowLastChangeÂ
#

# chris, people, example.com
dn: uid=chris,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 2
# numEntries: 1

Even though this is my permission:

olcAccess: {0}to attrs=shadowLastChange by self write by anonymous auth by dn=
Â"cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com" write by * read
olcAccess: {1}to attrs=userPassword by self write by anonymous auth by dn="cn=
Âadmin,dc=example,dc=com" write by * none
olcAccess: {2}to dn.base="" by * read
olcAccess: {3}to * by self write by dn="cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com" write by *
 read

Have I done something wrong with my permissions? Is there something else that could be going on here?

thanks,
Maria