Re: pcache overlay help

Hey,

On 19.03.2013 15:17, brendan kearney wrote:
> i no longer have logs around the failure, but the error message indicated
> that the olcDbDirectory could not be found.  the DN dn:
> olcDatabase={2}hdb,cn=config has that specified (olcDbDirectory:
> /var/lib/ldap), but i am missing something about pcache and the backend
> sharing this directive.

AFAIK you are missing a database to store the caching data in. While the
manpages and documentation do make mention of this implicitly, neither
of them states it in an obvious way. Unfortunately even the examples in
the admin guide are a bit misleading because the DNs there do not
reflect the object hierarchy in the config database.
So to solve your problem you will need a second database, that stores
the caching data, e.g.

# your database backend you want to cache for
dn: olcDatabase={2}ldap,cn=config
# the pcache overlay
dn: olcOverlay={0}pcache,olcDatabase={2}ldap,cn=config
# the pcache overlay db
dn: olcDatabase=hdb,olcOverlay={0}pcache,olcDatabase={2}ldap,cn=config
objectClass: olcPcacheDatabase
olcDbDirectory: /var/lib/ldap/pcache
olcDbIndex: pcacheQueryID eq

Note also that pcache is meant to increase the performance of ldap and
meta backends. I do not know whether it makes sense or actually works to
cache entries for a mundane hdb database.

hth

--
Technische Universität Berlin - FGINET

Bernd May

System Administration
An-Institut Deutsche Telekom Laboratories
Sekr. TEL 16
Ernst-Reuter-Platz 7
10587 BERLIN
GERMANY