read/write password/... attributes from/in SQL DB directly

hi,

our usermanagement is running on a Postgres (later MariaDB) database and have some (cron)scripts, that push/delete the new users into the LDAP tree. If the user changes his password (passwd/linux) it is only written to the LDAP side and one other script, reads the new password out and writes it into the user mgt DB back.

I want to ask: is there a way, to let LDAP read/write this or more attributes to the DB directly? We thought also to switch the dbdm to the mySQL backend, but I think, it isn't a good idea for ~4.000 active accounts and several netboot clients.

cu denny