Re: ldapsearch stalling when performing searches with a large number of results

Thanks, I've implemented these changes on our "spare" box and it seems to be handling these large result searches without stalling and it appears to be faster too which is a bonus :-)

I'll look to implementing these settings and SHM on the production servers sometime next week.

It might be worth adding a note not to change the sysctl settings unless they are currently too small on your given platform- taking that into account implementing the SHM key was simply a case
of running ipcs -m and picking a value that wasn't already in use.

Many thanks and have a good weekend,

Mark

On 27 Sep 2012, at 16:46, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> --On Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:21 AM +0100 Mark Cairney <mark.cairney@ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>

>> On 26 Sep 2012, at 22:36, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
>>
>>> --On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:59 AM +0100 Mark Cairney

>>> This may be a little small. I prefer to fully cache my DB.
>>
>> Which one in particular? I thought the set_cachesize had an upper limit
>> of 4GB but your guidance on the Zimbra website suggests this is an old
>> limit and I now can't find the page on the OpenLDAP site which discusses
>> it. Alternatively would increasing the number of caches from 2 to 2 or 3
>> be a suitable workaround?
>
> BDB 4.2.52 had an upper limit of 4 GB segments.  Since you aren't running BDB 4.2.52, you have no such limit.
>

>> Given that I've got a relatively healthy amount of RAM available would
>> the following sound sensible to you
>>
>> olcDbCacheSize: 1000000
>> olcDbIDLcacheSize: 1200000
>> set_cachesize 4 0 2
>
> I would do set_cachesize 8 0 0
>
>> I also want to give a bit of headroom for new user accounts (approx rate
>> of increase 80,000/y) and creating a group object for each user.
>
> Ok.

>>> So with 300,000 users, your caches look fine.  I would definitely
>>> recommend using an SHM key if you are going to stick with using BDB.  I
>>> personally prefer using MDB with current RE24 these days. It is
>>> magnitudes faster than BDB in all aspects if you enable write map.
>>
>> I've looked at your guidance on using SHM keys but I'm slightly reluctant
>> to start playing around with kernel settings on production servers :-)
>> The existing default settings on RHEL 5 seem massive in comparison though:
>> kernel.shmmax = 68719476736
>>
>> kernel.shmall = 4294967296
>>
>> Whereas based on the ZImbra performance tuning page I calculated (based
>> on 8GB BDB cache size + 0.5GB for other stuff)
>>
>> shmall would be: 2228224
>>
>> and shmmax:  8589934592
>>
>> Both of which appear to be an order of magnitude smaller than the
>> defaults! Then there appears to be some Zimbra-specific commands but I'm
>> guessing the equivalent is just setting the olcDBShmKey in slapd.d on
>> vanilla OpenLDAP?
>>
>> My plan in the longer term is to move to MDB but when I tried it out on
>> one of our test VMs (40GB HD) it pretty much devoured all available disk
>> space. Is there a rule of thumb for deriving probable MDB disk space
>> requirements based on existing BDB size?
>>
>> Thanks for the help and apologies for all the additional questions!
>>
>> Kind regards,
>
> You only have to adjust the SHM bits in sysctl if the default values are not large enough.  As for MDB, it generally takes about 2/3rds the space of BDB.
>
> --Quanah
>

> --
>
> Quanah Gibson-Mount
> Sr. Member of Technical Staff
> Zimbra, Inc
> A Division of VMware, Inc.
> [...]

Mark R Cairney
ITI UNIX Section
Information Services

Tel: 0131 650 6565
Email: Mark.Cairney@ed.ac.uk

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.