mdb - no space left?

I'm experimenting with mdb to replace hdb on my test/development set of servers. I've built 2.4.32 and the server is running RHEL 6.3. This morning, I got a confusing error.

Attempting to perform a deletion of a member from a groupOfNames, the following was recorded in syslog:

mdb_id2entry_put: mdb_put failed: No space left on device(28) "cn=GroupNameNotImportant,ou=groups,dc=uvm,dc=edu"

and ldapmodify returned:

modifying entry "cn=GroupNameNotImportant,ou=Groups,dc=uvm,dc=edu"
ldap_modify: Other (e.g., implementation specific) error (80)
        additional info: entry update failed

However, free shows memory left, df shows filesystem space left (in fact, it is only 22% used) and data.mdb is

-rw------- 1 ldap ldap 1547292672 Sep  8 06:22 data.mdb

while the maxsize parameter is set to:

maxsize         85899345920

So, I am confused about which device mdb is telling me is out of space.

What have I missed?