Re: representing file pathnames

On Aug 13, 2012, at 4:01 PM, Michael Ströder wrote:

> Chuck Lever wrote:

>>> Agreed. AFAICS the semantics of the URL are for your actual application to
>>> define. We're not talking about URLs that are meant to be served up by an HTTP
>>> server.
>>>
>>> IMO RFC2224 is defective in that it specifies both the URL format and its
>>> associated access methods. URL formats are meant to be "Uniform" which should
>>> mean they are independent of their access methods.
>>
>> In order to use the NFS URL format, I think we would be compelled to
>> correct RFC 2224, probably by issuing an RFC that supersedes it.
>
> Why?

My impression is that may be required by the IETF citation rules.  I could be wrong about that.

> You could simply use the URL syntax defined in RFC 2224, section 1 (maybe
> redefine it in your own draft) and ignore the WebNFS-related rest of RFC 2224
> if it does not fit your needs. Maybe some things from section 6 could be also
> considered. But personally I'm not familiar with NFS..

We can implement whatever we like (and in fact we did just that in the current NSDB schema).  But there are certain constraints about what may be specified and referenced in a standards-track document.

> The exact semantics how to use the NFS URLs with NFSv4 should be defined in
> your NFSv4 drafts then.

If we use NFS URLs, we would have to follow how the IETF prefers that we address the existing specification of an NFS URL.  They may not care, in which case we could do exactly what you suggest.

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com